Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Omni-Quiche! (or the easy quiche formula)

This is truly the most versatile recipe I've ever used!

Like many other quiche, this is based on a simple crust with an egg and milk-based filling. This just happens to be the base I use for ANY type of quiche possibly conceivable!

So, are you ready for the simplest recipe you'll ever see? Here it goes.

1 rolled pie crust, unbaked, pressed into a pie tin
2/3 cup heavy cream
7 large eggs

Beat eggs and cream together. Bake for 30 minutes at 350ºF.

And that's it... ...no, seriously, that's it!

No, I'm not joking! From this formula, adding herbs, spices, cheeses, meats, etc. I can make just about any kind style of quiche you can think of!

FYI (For Your Inspiration)
Italian: Parmesan, mozzarella, and feta cheeses, garlic, rosemary (sparingly, I might add), thyme, basil, parsley, or oregano, spicy Italian-style sausage (out of casing or in medallions).
French: Tarragon, lavender (sparingly), chopped spinach, mild flavored blue cheese, chicken or light pork sausage, sage, chives.
Spanish: Garlic (And LOTS of it! about 8 cloves for a full quiche), cumin, dry mustard, Manchego, Iberico, or Queso Fresco cheese, ground cayenne, roasted red pepper.

Anyways, the list could go on forever. The point it any spices and copped herbs mix in with the eggs and cream, as well as fin-grated hard cheeses. Meats should be cooked prior to baking. It's usually best to place all meats and a layer of soft cheese on the bottom, then pour the eggs in, followed by a generous portion of cheese on the top. A quiche is perfectly done when you bump the edge of the pan and the center just barely wiggles,
NO SLOSHING ALLOWED!

I truly hope you use and enjoy this recipe as much as I have and will! It's amazingly versatile, and just plain easy, also.

Enjoy,
    Forrest.

P.S. I cheat...
I use the Pillsbury pie crusts, just get them out while you're mixing your ingredients, pour it in, bake it up, so easy! I also use a mixture of 1/3 cup milk 1/3 cup sour cream instead of heavy cream. This all started when I went to make the quiche by recipe, neglecting to search the fridge for ingredient prior to baking. Also, when I make the Italian-style quiche, I add about 3 Tbls. pesto instead of basil, since it's far easier than making a chiffonade of basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment